Thursday, March 06, 2014

Leaving a Mark

As one advances in years there comes a time when you start to think of leaving your mark on life before it is too late. Something left to spark the memory in others so that they remember you once you have passed. Something so the memory of you stays alive.

I have lived an inconspicuous life. Nor have I done anything remarkable. I own nothing to hand down. I have nothing to leave, per se.  Except......I noticed something recently.

My four children do not realize it but they each have a small part of me in them. I see it though it isn't much. They are themselves.

However, my grandson.....now, he is like me. It makes me smile wide to watch him and hear him. My words coming back to me. My actions being played out. My face motions being replayed. I must laugh at the 'mini-me' of 5 years old with the twinkle in his eyes and that timid smile. He does not realize what he has picked up from me, while other traits were already present at birth.

He is a gentle soul filled with love for others. He is as shy as one can be. Tears close to the surface as any shy person is familiar with. Timid and quiet when out and about. Louder and rules when safely at home where he is comfortable enough to express himself. He protects and directs his younger brother.

He is creative and artistic...a thinker...more than a runner or a player.  His mother calls him a hoarder, I say he is environmentally conscience...he creates items from what most of us refer to as trash.

He rolls his eyes and tucks his napkin in the top of his shirt. And just like me, he loves tomato soup with crackers. He saves my pennies for his Mickey Fund and he loves nutcrackers. He sweeps my floor and empties my trash. He moves my items from one spot to another cause I guess, he thinks they look better over there. He unpacks my Christmas decorations, arranges them, then rearranges them everyday that he comes to visit and repacks them when he declares the holiday if over. Because, he keeps track of these kinds of things. (smiling here)

He loves the concept of school, but is hesitant to go yet he toughs it out and walks forward. A brave little soul.

He loves to be loved without the hugs and kisses.

He likes to feel safe. He feels too much. He is all that I was and am.

Now I know, the memory of me will live on long after I am gone. HE is my 'mark on life' that I leave.

2 comments:

  1. He IS you! Trina says when you die we won't miss you because you will live on through him! LOL He even practices shuffeling his feet around so he can walk like you!

    Now, when he starts giving advice, I will be scared!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL....yes, I know you won't miss me at all with him around. I like the idea of leaving something behind.

    He is the one who is most like me. After all David is a dare devil...I never have been. I like safety. Liz...she is her mother. Aidan is too full of energy and that isn't me, never have been accused of having too much energy. :-)

    It is Ethan who was blessed with my traits...or cursed. LOL

    ReplyDelete